“Swag” in Korean (KWOW #50)

Professor Oh May 23, 2012 35

Happy 50th KWOW! This week Granny Kim teaches you a lesson on swag:

There seems to be a misconception of ganji. Search online for “ganji style” or “ganji fashion” and you’ll see photos of females wearing baggy pants paired with an oversized t-shirt.

Ganji is NOT a specific style! Just because you dress up like the females above does not make you ganji. This Korean slang term is much broader than that: GANJI means “swag” and “stylish.” Anyone and anything can have ganji. For example…

(www.ganzinara.com)

저 남자 간지난다.
That man’s got swag!
Juh namja ganjinandah!

(www.aka.co.kr)

드레스 간지난다.
The dress is stylish.
Deurehseu ganjinandah.

2NE1 간지난다.
2NE’1′s got swag.
2NE1 ganjinandah.

***Who do you think has GANJI? For this week’s mini contest…

1. Fill in the blank “______ 간지난다!” with the name of your favorite K-pop singer. Write the complete phrase ten times on a paper. This will be good practice for you :)
2. Take a photo.
3. Upload it online via Twitter.
4. Copy and paste the link in the comment section below, along with a QUESTION to Granny Kim. She likes crazy, fun, random questions!

First ten people to complete this task wins a reply from Granny Kim. No question, no reply! If you’re confused, see the first comment below for the example.

1. RegineMay May 28, 2012 at 1:07 am - Reply

Hi Granny Kim! Where is your husband baby? ;-)

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:49 am - Reply

Howdy, Rm Vill!
      My husband is a doctor. He is currently volunteering at a village in a third world country. He is a sweetheart ♥

2. RegineMay May 28, 2012 at 1:04 am - Reply

Hi Granny Kim! Where is your husband baby? ;-)

3. Andrea May 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm - Reply

KWOW might be done after 50 episodes?! Nooooooo!!!!

• Celina May 25, 2012 at 8:41 am - Reply

Please keep the KWOW awesomeness coming!!!

4. Demi Lee May 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm - Reply

Did it just in case, you never know. :D

T.O.P. 간지난다! t(‘ o ‘t) twitter.com/ShawolDMi/stat…— Demi Sommerville (@ShawolDMi) May 25, 2012

Granny Kim! How old are you? ;P

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:47 am - Reply

Howdy, Demi Lee!
      I like character you drew. It looks like a cross between a bunny and a mouse. Very cute! How old am I? I can’t remember my age, but my birthday is October 31, 1939. Maybe you can do the math for me? I stopped counting after I turned 30.

5. bridgettalks May 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm - Reply

No one has more swag than CL! ^^
    Granny Kim, what is your favorite song to sing at 노래방? :)

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:43 am - Reply

Howdy, Bridgettalks!
      I would like to have a swag battle with CL :) I like to sing 2NE1′s “I Am the Best” at the 노래방!

6. ColdashELF May 23, 2012 at 11:40 pm - Reply

I don’t have a twitter account and three people have already done it, butI want to anyways ^_^
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    슈퍼주니어 간지난다!
    Granny Kim, did you make good grades in school?

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:42 am - Reply

Howdy, ColdashELF!
      I’m a nice granny, so I’ll answer your question: YES. I made the best grades in school. But of course, I may be remembering things differently than everyone else.

7. Kristal Temple May 23, 2012 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Granny Kim, I don’t have Twitter! Is FB okay? I’m sending you a FB message with the picture attached. kamsahamnida.
    Granny Kim, here is a fun question for you: If you had the chance to ride a dinosaur, which kind would you choose?

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 8:36 am - Reply

Howdy, Kristal!
      I’d have to ride the king of the jungle: tyrannosaurus rex. If I became friends with any other dinosaur, the t-rex would be chasing me. I’m not ready to be anyone’s Korean BBQ!

8. Marian Grace Ticzon May 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm - Reply

안 녕 하 세 요, Professor Oh and Friends! here’s my entry: http://twitpic.com/9okamz

My “crazy” question for Granny Kim, Which came first ,the chicken or the egg? if egg is the first one, where’s the chicken? and if Chicken is the first, where’s did it hatch?

Can you close your eyes and raise your eyebrows?

kamsahamnida!!! :D

• Marian Grace Ticzon May 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm - Reply

I upload via twitter: http://pic.twitter.com/2r1o61d the link above I uploaded it in twitpic :P

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 8:46 am - Reply

Howdy, Marian!
      The egg came first! It might’ve been laid by a mutant flower. Yes, I can most definitely close my eyes and raise my eyebrows. Can you?

• Marian Grace Ticzon May 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Wow Granny Kim , I’m so happy that you replied my crazy question for you :) I thought it’s a ridiculous question that you may not want to answer :)))
        Anyway, I watched your KWOW Announcement (Happy 50th episode behind the scenes and bloopers) I really appreciate all you have done every time you make videos :) I know it’s hard to transform into different characters but I know you have fun doing it. I’ll continue watching your videos in the future! Keep up! Because of your videos I’m very eager to go to Korea someday :)

9. Candy May 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm - Reply

professor oh! here’s mine ^_^

Granny Kim, what’s the most memorable experience you ever had in your life? :)

• hyemi18 May 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm - Reply

안냥하세여
      pic.twitter.com/G6BeWyK8

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 8:54 am - Reply

Howdy, Hyemi18!
        I might be blind, but I don’t see your question for me anywhere. Maybe I have to get new glasses…

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 8:52 am - Reply

Howdy, Candy!
      Your sweet name makes me hungry. Most memorable experience in my life? Hmmmm… I would have to say it’s the time when Bongja and I hitchhiked from Pyongyang to Seoul before the Korean War. We must’ve been only 10 years at the time. It was a much safer world back then!

10. Jana Ristic May 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm - Reply

Granny KiiiiimX3
    What’s your favorite foreign language?

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:01 am - Reply

Howdy, Xenia!
      I love that cute little cloud you drew. Every language is my favorite language, including Hawaiian :)

Aloha,

11. Kirstie Bikakis (@kjbikakis) May 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Granny Kim,
    What is your favorite Korean food/desert?

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:09 am - Reply

Howdy, Kirstie!
      I used to like patbingsoo, but then my teeth got sensitive to cold foods. My current favorite dessert is 인절미 (injeolmi). My favorite food is 죽 (jook). Rice porridge is easy on my stomach and teeth.

Granny Kim

p.s.: I like Taeyang, too :)

12. Mia (@Hitattu) May 23, 2012 at 4:34 am - Reply

Granny Kim,
    What is your absolute favourite, korean word, ever?

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:18 am - Reply

Howdy, Maikox10!
      My favorite Korean word is… Oh my, there’s so many words to choose from… My current favorite word is 침대 (chimdae/bed) because I’m taking my afternoon nap very soon!

13. antjuane johnson (@TWEEZE1516) May 23, 2012 at 2:53 am - Reply

Ganny Kim…Who are you fave guy and girl Kpop group?

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

Howdy, Antjuane Johnson!
      I love Tablo, Lee Seungi, Taeyang, Xiah Junsu, DJ Doc and many more. My favorite K-pop girl bands include Girls’ Generation and 2NE1. Who doesn’t? :)

14. Ryan (64Packets) May 23, 2012 at 1:42 am - Reply

What is the most adrenaline inducing thing you have ever done? (bungee jumping and the like)

• sweetandtastytv May 30, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

Howdy, Ryan Bryant!
      I cannot remember many things in my life. However my short-term memory functions quite well. The most recent adrenaline-inducing thing I’ve done is taking the elevator up to the Chrysler Building in NYC.

15. sweetandtastytv May 23, 2012 at 1:14 am - Reply

***EXAMPLE***

Check it out, Professor Oh! https://twitter.com/SweetAndTastyTV/status/205224306953830400/photo/1

Question for Granny Kim: What’s your favorite place to dance?