Boyfriend, Girlfriend or just Friends? (KWOW #51)

Professor Oh May 29, 2012 20

Granny Kim has replied to your questions from last week’s contest!

Do you know what NAMJA, YUHJA and CHINGOO mean? You don’t? Time for some edutainment. (Note: edutainment = education + entertainment)

NAMJA means “man,” but is also used as  “boy” and “male.”
YUHJA means “woman,” but is also used as “girl” and “female.”
CHINGOO simply means “friend.”

Here are some word equations:
namja + chingoo = namjachingoo
(boy + friend = boyfriend)

yuhja + chingoo = yuhjachingoo
(girl + friend = girlfriend)

Now that you know YUHJA, NAMJA and CHINGOO, think you can spot them within context? I challenge you to take the following quiz. I promise it’ll be fun :)

Answers are located at the end of this blog entry. No peeking!

***
Question #1: When does the NAMJA and YUHJA appear in 2NE1′s “I Am the Best”?

***
Question #2: Where is the fourth YUHJA in Lee Seungi’s “Because You’re My Girl”? Click for English subtitles.

***
Question #3: How many CHINGOOs appear in Big Bang’s “Bad Boy”?

***
Question #4: Can you find the first YUHJA in Boyfriend’s “Don’t Touch My Girl”?

***
GRAND FINALE QUESTION #5: How many YUHJAs and NAMJAs are in KISS’s “Because I’m a Girl” (2001)?

This one-hit wonder remains an old-school Korean classic. Ladies, get a tissue. Gentlemen, it’s okay to cry. Many namjas admitted to tearing up when watching this video. You are not alone.

***
Answer #1: NAMJA appears at 1:54.
남자들은 날 돌아보고
Namjadeureun nal dorabogo
Guys turn around to look at me

YUHJA appears at 1:56.
여자들은 따라해
Yuhjadeureun ddarahae
Girls follow what I do

***
Answer #2: The fourth YUHJA is sung at 0:54. High five if you got it! If you didn’t, high five for trying!

***
Answer #3: CHINGOO appears once at 1:51.
내 꿈속의 신부 이제 그냥 친구
Nae ggoomsokae shinbu eejae geunyang chingoo
Bride of my dream now we’re only friends

***
Answer #4: The first YUHJA appears at 1:13.
내 여자 손대지마
Nae yuhja sondaejima
Don’t touch my girl

***
Answer #5 (see below for update): Think you found them all? Write your answer in the comment section with a fun question to Billy Jin. First *three* people to get the correct answer wins a reply from this week’s KWOW host Billy Jin! No questions, no reply. Good luck :)

***
ANSWER #5 REVEALED! (updated June 4)

-NAMJA is sung and spoken 4 times at: 1:03, 2:12, 3:49, and 6:01.
-YUHJA is sung and spoken 13 times at: 1:57, 2:31, 3:02, 4:08, 4:58, 5:07, 5:34, 6:12, 6:52, 7:02, 7:28, 7:42, and 7:36.
-TOTAL namjas and yuhjas: 17

1. Miharu July 11, 2012 at 4:06 am - Reply

By the way, for once I spotted a yunjachingoo in super juniors’ cooking cooking, and I when I watched ur Video I knew what it means, THANK YOU <3

2. kattlina July 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm - Reply

Annyeong! please help me to translate this to hangul and romanization too… thank you so much!!!

There’s a love song i’ve heard
    But it felt strange and weird
    I couldn’t sing, I couldn’t sing
    My heart is out of tune so long ago

If I could find love again,
    Would it be like a morning sun?
    What should I do, what should I do?
    Couldn’t remember how to say I love you..

It’s a sad destiny, but I’m gonna start again
    I’ll sing with the birds, I’ll dance with the wind
    It’s love I found in you
    I love you, love you, love you…

There’s a love song I’ve heard
    It felt wonderful and weird
    I’ll sing with you, I’ll dance with you
    I love you, love you, love you…

You’re my love song
    I love you…

3. Kristal Temple May 31, 2012 at 8:39 pm - Reply

Howdy, Billy Jin.
    I counted 13 (8 yuhja, 5 namja) in the singing, and two (one of each) in the spoken portion.
    A silly question for you: If you could be described by a shoe, which shoe would best match you?
    Thank you for hosting KWOW.

• sweetandtastytv June 4, 2012 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Hello Kristal!
      There were 4 namjas and 13 yuhjas, but good job! I’m still answering your question :) If I were a shoe, I’d be a pair of sparkly orange high heels! Just like the ones I wear all the time!

Wink wink,
      Billy Jin ;)

4. Devon Furbush May 31, 2012 at 8:32 pm - Reply

I have a question for Billy: what is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning?

• sweetandtastytv June 4, 2012 at 9:03 pm - Reply

Hello Devon!
      You’re the only one who got the answer right! 17 namjas and yuhjas are sung and spoken in the video. You must be a great listener. Great listeners make great boyfriends! Haha. You should teach my man Taekwon Do some lessons. To answer your question, the first thing I do in the morning is get out of my bed. Then I thoroughly wash my face to awaken my pores. A clean face is a beautiful one!

Wink wink,
      Billy Jin ;)

• Devon Furbush June 6, 2012 at 4:21 am - Reply

haha i watched the video about 6 times and I made of chart for all 3 words. I wrote tally marks everytime I heard them.

• Devon Furbush June 6, 2012 at 4:30 am - Reply

뿌잉뿌잉

5. Devon Furbush May 31, 2012 at 8:31 am - Reply

남자- 4
    친구-0
    여자-13

6. Bisco May 31, 2012 at 2:00 am - Reply

Thank you for giving us extra kwow episodes!! <3
    I've always been curious about this: how can you say if you wanna say "male/female friend" and not "boyfriend/girlfriend"?? I'd be really thankful if you could teach me that!

• Devon Furbush May 31, 2012 at 8:33 am - Reply

남자친구- male friend
      여자친구-female friend
      I asked the same question to my Korean friend and she told me she uses these. I hope this helps.

• Bisco June 1, 2012 at 12:13 am - Reply

I see!!! Thank you so much Devon, it’s a big help!!!! :D

7. Andrea May 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm - Reply

So happy to see more KWOWs! Thanks for all you do!

• Karen June 28, 2012 at 10:17 am - Reply

i think theirs 17???

8. Xiao Vee May 30, 2012 at 10:08 am - Reply

namja: 3
    yeoja: 8
    total is 11.. am i right?
    my question is.. what’s Billy Jin most favorite food, fruit and vegetables? ^^

• sweetandtastytv June 4, 2012 at 9:23 pm - Reply

Hello Xiao!
      There were actually 4 namjas and 13 yuhjas, but you still win an answer for trying :D My favorite food is japchae. Yum yum~ My favorite fruit is mango. When it comes to veggies, I love love love heirloom tomatoes!

Wink wink,
      Billy Jin ;)

9. Ryan (64Packets) May 30, 2012 at 12:09 am - Reply

16 i think

what is the hottest thing (spice wise) you have ever eaten?

• sweetandtastytv June 4, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Hello Ryan!
      Very close! It’s actually 17 (4 namjas, 13 yuhjas), but good job nonetheless :) I will answer your question for trying~ The spiciest thing I ever ate was Granny Kim’s home-made hot wings. Oh. Em. Geeeeee. I couldn’t finish even one piece. Granny Kim somehow has no problem eating a whole plateful. She’s one tough cookie.

Wink wink,