How to Order at a K-BBQ Restaurant

Professor Oh July 18, 2012 13

(Granny Kim replied to the winners from last week’s contest. For this week’s contest, scroll to the end of this post!)

We all know that famous cliché: You are what you eat. Well then, to be Korean you must eat some K-BBQ (Korean barbeque)! If you’re vegetarian savor some bibimbap instead. But for you carnivores out there, this week’s episode of KWOW will prepare you for the next grill-rific outing:

The next time you go K-BBQ’ing, impress your waiter. Show off your Korean skills by using the following phrases:

Excuse me! (formal)
저기요! Juhgiyo!

Please give us/me a menu. (formal)
메뉴 주세요. Mehnyu joosehyo.

Please give us/me the English menu. (formal)
영어 메뉴 주세요. Younguh mehnyu joosehyo.

Please give me/us insert name of food here. (formal)
Insert name of food here 주세요.
Insert name of food here joosehyo.

It’s delicious! (informal)
맛있다! Masheetdah!

It’s delicious! (formal)
맛있어요! Masheessuhyo!

***
For the full list of meats you can order, check out at the menu from Hyungmin’s restaurant below. Pop it up on your latest smart-phone/gadget and use it as a reference. Or you can print it out, circle the meats you want to try and show it to the waiter. Note: names of meat may slightly vary upon each restaurant.

When you visit Los Angeles, head over to Koreatown. While there are too many AYCE K-BBQ restaurants to name them all, here are some of our favorite spots:

Palsaik

Road to Seoul
1230 S Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90006

Kang Hodong Baekjeong
3465 W 6th St
Los Angeles, CA 90020

If you’re visiting New York City, try the restaurant Mr. JYP opened. You know, the man who created Wonder Girls, MissA and 2PM. We’ve never been, but let us know what you think!

Kristalbelli
8 W. 36th St
New York, NY 10018

***
KWOW CONTEST OF THE WEEK:

1. Complete the phrase “_________ 주세요.” by filling in the blank with ten different types of meat taught in KWOW #58.
  2. Take a photo of your beautiful work.
  3. Upload the photo onto Twitter.
  4. Copy and paste the link in the comment section below. (Note: Other submissions may not be considered an entry.)
  5. Don’t forget to ask your fun/crazy/yummy question to this week’s KWOW host Bongja.
  6. Have fun! The first *seven people* to complete the task will win a reply from Bongja :)

1. Kristal Temple July 19, 2012 at 11:30 am - Reply

Wow, the restaurant by JYP has my name on the door! I wonder if I would be given something special because of that if I ever went there… ;-)
    Bongja, are hot-pot restaurants also Korean? (The kind of restaurant where they put boiling broth on your table and then you cook whatever you want to eat in the broth, such as Napa cabbage, thinly sliced meat, shrimp, fish-balls, bean-threads, etc.) If “hot-pot” is the wrong name, please correct me.
    Thank you.

• sweetandtastytv July 25, 2012 at 8:18 am - Reply

Anyong, Kristal! Beautiful job! From what I know, hotpots originated from China about a thousand years ago. The idea spread to its neighboring countries and now is enjoyed by many people! Korea does have their own version of the hotpot, which can also be quite tasty. I like to add kimchi in mine :)

Stay fancy,
      Bongja

• kwowalid October 29, 2012 at 4:04 pm - Reply

Anyong,in our country we dont gave korean food soo bad :( i have to eat that when i come
        there in korea. thank sweetandtastytv for your job im glad to see your lesson and i love korea i hope i will come there as son as posible thank you much :D

2. fannepoh July 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm - Reply

Anyong!

Here’s mine —-> pic.twitter.com/ra5sFlju

Bonja !

How to get rid of the garlic smell after eating it during BBQ ?
    What drink that you usually order to compliment with BBQ? Soju is’t?
    Lastly, I don’t eat organ part. So, how make myself try it without feeling yuckie >.<

That's all ! 고마워 내 친구 !
    xoxo

• sweetandtastytv July 25, 2012 at 8:07 am - Reply

Anyong, Fannepoh! I like your cute hearts and cute writing! Ah, the famous garlic smell~ I like to drink some tea after the food feels digested and brush my teeth about 20 times. Haha. My friends and I usually drink after the K-BBQ dinner, like when we go to the noraebang afterwards. And about the intestines… You must trick your brain into thinking it’s something other than intestines… Perhaps squid?

Stay fancy,
      Bongja

3. TkEfSaNe July 18, 2012 at 7:14 am - Reply

Here is my work :) http://pic.twitter.com/3J3QJXBw I missed last week contest but I am back.
    Main host Bongja, How often are you going to K-BBQ? and What do you order generally? Don’t forget fatty things cause to unwanted things on skin(face). Care your beauty ^_^

• sweetandtastytv July 25, 2012 at 8:01 am - Reply

Anyong, Tayfun! Welcome back! I like to go K-BBQ at least once a month. There was a time I was going every Friday night with my best friends, but I overindulged in the AYCE deal. After about two months of non-stop K-BBQ, I gained barbeque belly. Haha. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing! I always order LA galbi and pig skin :)

Thank you for your skin care advice!

Stay fancy,
      Bongja

4. kawaii July 18, 2012 at 1:32 am - Reply

can you change the way to enter the contest? because i don’t have twitter :(

• sweetandtastytv July 25, 2012 at 7:57 am - Reply

Anyong, Kawaii! Twitter is preferred for it is efficient. Perhaps if you upload it onto your WordPress blog, we can accept that as well :)

Stay fancy,
      Bongja

5. Ryan (64Packets) July 18, 2012 at 1:01 am - Reply

Here is my try! http://pic.twitter.com/HB34plJx

what is your favourite K-BBQ dish?

• sweetandtastytv July 25, 2012 at 7:55 am - Reply

Anyong, Ryan! Splendid work! For taste, I love LA galbi the most. But for beauty, I enjoy the pig skin. Gotta get my collagen! Whether or not it’s true what they say about pig skin and aging, I’ll take my chances :)

Stay fancy,
      Bongja

• Ryan (64Packets) July 25, 2012 at 8:08 am - Reply

I made that at home here, there isnt any places to get korean food anywhere near me and i have to say it is really good,

I will hopefully get to try the real thing next year!