(Granny Kim replied to the winners from last week’s contest. For this week’s contest, scroll to the end of this post!)
We all know that famous cliché: You are what you eat. Well then, to be Korean you must eat some K-BBQ (Korean barbeque)! If you’re vegetarian savor some bibimbap instead. But for you carnivores out there, this week’s episode of KWOW will prepare you for the next grill-rific outing:
The next time you go K-BBQ’ing, impress your waiter. Show off your Korean skills by using the following phrases:
Excuse me! (formal)
Please give us/me a menu. (formal)
메뉴 주세요. Mehnyu joosehyo.
Please give us/me the English menu. (formal)
영어 메뉴 주세요. Younguh mehnyu joosehyo.
Please give me/us insert name of food here. (formal)
Insert name of food here 주세요.
Insert name of food here joosehyo.
It’s delicious! (informal)
It’s delicious! (formal)
For the full list of meats you can order, check out at the menu from Hyungmin’s restaurant below. Pop it up on your latest smart-phone/gadget and use it as a reference. Or you can print it out, circle the meats you want to try and show it to the waiter. Note: names of meat may slightly vary upon each restaurant.
When you visit Los Angeles, head over to Koreatown. While there are too many AYCE K-BBQ restaurants to name them all, here are some of our favorite spots:
863 S Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90005
Genwa Korean BBQ
5115 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036
601 S Ardmore Ave, Ste 100
Los Angeles, CA 90005
Road to Seoul
1230 S Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90006
Kang Hodong Baekjeong
3465 W 6th St
Los Angeles, CA 90020
If you’re visiting New York City, try the restaurant Mr. JYP opened. You know, the man who created Wonder Girls, MissA and 2PM. We’ve never been, but let us know what you think!
8 W. 36th St
New York, NY 10018
KWOW CONTEST OF THE WEEK:
- Complete the phrase “_________ 주세요.” by filling in the blank with ten different types of meat taught in KWOW #58.
- Take a photo of your beautiful work.
- Upload the photo onto Twitter.
- Copy and paste the link in the comment section below. (Note: Other submissions may not be considered an entry.)
- Don’t forget to ask your fun/crazy/yummy question to this week’s KWOW host Bongja.
- Have fun! The first *seven people* to complete the task will win a reply from Bongja :)