KWOW Q&A Session (Season 1)

Professor Oh August 8, 2012 24

BILLY JIN: Hello, everyone! Not too long ago we asked our viewers if they had any questions regarding KWOW (via Facebook). Today we’re having a Q&A session with Professor Oh. Guess who’s the moderator? Me, Billy Jin! In honor of our viewers’ privacy, only their last names will be mentioned. To start off, I myself have a question. Professor Oh, how do you feel now that it’s been a week since the final episode of KWOW?

PROFESSOR OH: Briefly put, I miss KWOW. This past week I felt like there was a hole in my heart. When something becomes a part of your lifestyle then suddenly vanishes, you feel this emptiness. I don’t mean to sound dramatic, but I guess honesty can sound dramatic. Especially in a world where people try to conceal and deny their innermost thoughts. But dear viewers, do not be too sad for KWOW’s end! We’ve got a new show coming up. We won’t be just teaching Korean anymore, but expanding to other topics. So stay tuned!

BILLY JIN: The next question comes from Lady Higginson. She asks, “How did you get started doing KWOW Wednesdays? Was it your idea or were you hired to do it? How did the show come into the world?”

PROFESSOR OH: To make a long story short, yes, KWOW Wednesday was my own initiative. No one pays me to do it. After seeing the popularity of the first “Let’s Learn Korean with Professor Oh” lesson, I wanted to release something for my viewers on a weekly basis. I’ve been meaning make more videos years earlier, but I was occupied with college at the time. Last summer I sat down and brainstormed on what would be fun and useful for the audience. After writing a long list of potential show ideas and names, I decided to use KWOW because it sounded kind of like KPOP, the reason why many people want to learn Korean in the first place. Little did I know of “Jersey Shore’s” JWOWW as well as its other similarities. Let’s just say there’s nothing new under the sun. You think you have an original idea but really, all ideas are recycled and revamped. That’s fine. It’s life. And life is full of coincidences.

BILLY JIN: Lady Ksamawati asks, “What do you do besides KWOW? Do you really make these videos all by yourself?”

PROFESSOR OH: Indeed, KWOW is a one-woman show. Every so often I’d have my friends hold the camera or make guest appearances. The final episode #60 was a special case where we had four people, including myself, shoot the footage. We wanted to end the show with a big bang. And yes, that was an intentional K-pop band reference! I also have my mom and my friend read the script before I finalize it. It’s good to have someone else look at your work with a fresh eye. But as far as writing, directing, filming, acting, editing, and whatnot, yes, I do it all by myself. Aside from KWOW, I like to read and explore the world.

BILLY JIN: Mr. Esteban asks, “Professor Oh, why are you so pretty and knowledgeable in Korean?”

PROFESSOR OH: Thank you for your sweet words. My face is a combination of eyeliner and my parents’ genes. Though I could’ve been luckier. Haha. I’ll pass on your compliments to them. I’m not as smart as you think, but thank you very much. Anyone can be knowledgeable in anything they put their mind on. Passion, patience, and perseverance are your best friends.

BILLY JIN: Mr. Esteban also asks, “Is Taekwon Do a relative of yours? He seems like a tough, manly guy. I look up to him.”

PROFESSOR OH (shouts lightly towards the kitchen): Taekwon Do, do you want to answer this one?

TAEKWON DO (looks up while chewing on kimchi): Esteban, dude, thanks for looking up to me. I’ll do what I can to stay manly and tough. Just for you, bro. By the way Professor Oh and I aren’t blood-related. We know each other since she’s best friends with my girlfriend Billy Jin. (puts another piece of kimchi in his mouth)

BILLY JIN: Taekwon, don’t eat all the kimchi. Save some for me! Continuing on, Mr. Ashby asks, “What was your first language? Because you seem real good at both English and Korean.”

PROF. OH: Though I was born and raised in California, Korean was my first language. I learned English once I entered elementary school. Though I’ve lived in America my whole life, I’ve always tried to keep in touch with my roots. No matter where you are, if you want to learn Korean or anything really, you can become a pro. While it helps immensely to live in the country of the language you’re learning, it’s possible to become skilled at anything when you put your mind to it, regardless of your whereabouts. Don’t let location define who you are.

BILLY JIN: Mr. Hollinsworth asks, “If someone met you for the first time and you took their breath away, what would you like to hear them say to you?”

PROFESSOR OH: I’d like for that person to say, “Let’s go get AYCE Korean barbeque. It’s on me.” Who doesn’t like free meals?

BILLY JIN: Mr. Colby asks, “How long does it take to write a KWOW script?”

PROFESSOR OH: Every episode demanded something different. A simple 2-3 minute video can take three hours to write. Sometimes even five. It’s amazing how many hours it can take to write one minute. When you make your own videos, you gain an appreciation for movies. You start to understand how a two hour-long movie can take months to film.

BILLY JIN: Mr. Colby also asks, “Is it easy to come up with material? Does anyone help you with ideas? Unrelated to KWOW, have you heard of Eat Your Kimchi with Simon and Martina?”

PROFESSOR OH: Most of the time, the material is based upon YOU, the viewer’s requests. Without our audience, there would be no KWOW. And yes, I know of Simon and Martina. I have a particular liking to their sweet dog Spudgy. Hehe.

BILLY JIN: Mr. Kimberlin asks, “Is there a Mr. KWOW?”

PROFESSOR OH: Mr. KWOW! Can you come over here and say hello?

TAEKWON DO (still in the kitchen): Hello, again. I represent all the men in the show. So I guess that makes me Mr. KWOW. Man, I’m real hungry. This kimchi and rice is not enough. I’m gonna go get some food. Maybe bossam.

BILLY JIN: I’ve got a great idea! Let’s have dinner in K-town tonight. We’ve yet to celebrate the end of KWOW!

GRANNY KIM (appears out of nowhere when she hears a word related to “party” and “celebrate”): Yeayaaa! Food and drinks on me tonight. Promise me we’ll go to the dance floor afterwards.

BILLY JIN: You bet, Granny Kim! Thanks to everyone for submitting questions. If you have any thoughts or additional questions, let us know. Feel free to write them in the comment section below. Maybe we’ll do another Q&A session soon. And if you see us in Koreatown LA tonight, don’t be shy and say hello! Anyong!

1. AM December 9, 2013 at 11:14 am - Reply

Dr. Professor Oh..kkkk
    Can I purchase your seasons of KWOW. My mother loves everything
    Korean too and she doesn’t have a computer TT. I hope so
    if it is possible please email me. Thanks. Keep Going<33333

2. kiona March 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm - Reply

When is lesson 6 coming out?

3. wulan February 3, 2013 at 11:25 am - Reply

I like your show.. Help me a lot to know korean language and its culture! Awesome..
    I’m curious about how to say ‘king’ uumm all about palace.. Can you help me with that professor Oh? Thanks :))

4. LEXITA (@se_uri) December 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Professor oh … if you wouldnt be doing KWOW or anything at all in youtube … what would you have been doing … I WISH THAT KWOW DOESNT END PLEASE

5. dani December 23, 2012 at 5:03 am - Reply

Professor Oh can You do another Q and A session?? That would be realy nice couse i have some Qs for You!! ^^

6. Winiichan December 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Professor Oh ~~ oh oh oh oh 선생님사랑해♪ hehe so im an avid fan of yours all the way from new zealand (*^_^*) and i recently began watching your kwow vids … I started at 1 , like how we all do then in like 2 days i managed to catch up to #69 ! Then i just made an oath that i would follow all of professor oh and her crew ( and Ramona Champion ) i totally dig all your vids ! They have helped me learn soo much !! ( i even made a note book on every little thing ) … ( i mean EVERY thing ) im so thankful to you for making these amazing videos ! I hope you continue your fabulous work , it must take alot of energy to produce anything for your fans right ? Hehe ^^) the first thing that made me wanna learn korean was japanese , then kpop . Then i just decided to watch the videos for professor oh hehehe ! Thankyou all the way from nz ~ 선생님짱~ you have really shed a new light on my life , ill be able to accomplish many things with my new found korean knowledge base ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ너무너무감사합니다

• Winiichan December 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm - Reply

I give professor oh 조kpop stars haha ~

7. Dayana Yvaniza October 9, 2012 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Hi Professor Oh,
    As I was reading this Q&A session I was hoping somebody would have asked my question hehe..
    First, I saw you mention college (^_^;)
    What is your major and did you have any previous experience on vlogging and video making?
    and second, what type of camera and software do you use for recording and editing? (^^)
    I must say I’ve been hooked on your videos these past days, I am a language vlogger myself but my focus is Spanish to Japanese and Korean. Throughout the years I’ve been learning korean online myself and really your channel is one of the best I’ve found! (and I’ve seen alot!!!)
    Your content is great, funny and original
    You have re-inspired me to create content that not only is educational but also entertaining! 너무 감사함니다!
    I wish I’d lived in LA and had more chances to practice my korean but I live in hot AZ (not too many koreans, boo (-_-)p lol
    PD: When I listen carefully, your “r’s” are perfect for Spanish! I think you wouldn’t have any problem with pronunciation :D
    Grettings!
    - Dayana G.

8. Seth October 4, 2012 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Hey Professor Oh I would like to meet you on skype. If that is ok its sj.bowman
    I hope that you’ll see it. Anyoung:)

9. sokhom October 2, 2012 at 9:11 am - Reply

i nice kwow everytoday

• sokhom October 2, 2012 at 9:12 am - Reply

I can koraen kwow study ok

10. Mauy Enter September 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm - Reply

i do LIKE KWOW…. :D

11. Mindy Gwinn September 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm - Reply

I am sooooo GLAD :D I found you on Youtube. I have learned so much in just a couple of weeks. I would love it if you could somehow make a video to buy with much more.

12. robert thomas jr August 17, 2012 at 8:53 pm - Reply

I have loved watching KWOW and i appretiate all the hard work you have done. Im a huge fan and hope to hear from you on your new show soon!!! Good luck!!!! Im going for some KBBQ tomarrow, I’ll be sure to eat a piece for Taekwon!!!!

13. Kid Kimchi August 12, 2012 at 3:13 am - Reply

Awesome videos Professor Oh!

14. fannepoh August 10, 2012 at 4:22 am - Reply

OMG ! I will miss u all badly !!!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

15. ColdashELF August 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm - Reply

안녕하세요. “Mr. Colby” here. Thank you for answering my questions.
    I never quite realized how much work you put into these videos. They have been very helpful.
    All of your videos and their TL;DR videos have taught me so much about Korea. I too am fond of Spudgy. Their new kitten, Dr. Meemersworth, is very cute as well (but being a dog person I’m still partial to Spudgy).
    감사합니다. Thank you very much for sharing your abilities to teach your viewers. Hopefully I’ll eventually be near fluent so I can become a translator.
    (P.S. I’m a female. The “Mr.” didn’t bother me a bit though. I actually laughed out loud and I can’t stop smiling. I’m a tomboy so I’d honesty prefer “Mr.” over “Lady” haha. Anyways, that made me happy ^_^)

16. Ryan (64Packets) August 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm - Reply

what do you do for a living?

17. Ed Q August 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm - Reply

What is your college major?

18. Peter August 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Professor Oh.
    Thanks for all the shows & expressing your creative Ideas. Your comments above, though out the blogs and postings on the sight are a true inspiration. They reflect how uplifting and supportive your mind is. Truly a great quality to have as a foundation to enjoy life and what it brings to your table. If your ever K-Town NYC or Flushing I’m buying. I’ve never seen AYCE east coast, but we sure got some serious restaurants here fo sho. Peace

19. Otto August 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm - Reply

My question is for Granny Kim: During the L.A. Riots, did you have to protect your store by shooting Black people?

20. Kristal Temple August 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm - Reply

While reading about the next season I became excited! I’m curious if that means cultural things will be more directly included, since culture and language are deeply intertwined. (And by culture, I am referring to more basic things than KPOP, such as when certain actions and utterances – or silences – are expected during interactions. I don’t enjoy making faux pas.)
    Yay! :-)
    And thank you, Professor Oh, for telling us how you know Korean. I have been curious about that from the get-go.

21. Ryan (64Packets) August 8, 2012 at 1:00 pm - Reply

I missed KWOW today, I actually had to do some work fixing servers rather than taking part in the contests!

I cant wait to see what you have got coming up in your new show and for me letter to arrive! :-)

• Ryan (64Packets) August 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm - Reply

My letter not me letter….. i should perhaps work on my English a little more :-D