29 South Korean Movies You Must Watch

Professor Oh August 8, 2013 20

In this week’s episode of KWOW, we share our favorite South Korean films. We’ve also included ones popular amongst the general audience. Watch the video. It’s more colorful than the list :)

The movies in bold are super recommended. Please check for ratings before watching.

1. My Boyfriend is Blood Type B
  2. He Was Cool
  3. 100 Days with Mr. Arrogant
  4. My Sassy Girl (screenshot below) – watch here for free via Hulu
    my sassy girl
  5. I’m a Cyborg, but That’s Okay
  6. Il Mare
  7. The Good, The Bad and The Weird
  8. Attack the Gas Station
  9. Welcome to Dongmakgol (screenshot below)
    welcome to dongmakgol
  10. My Wife is a Gangster
  11. Oasis (watch here for free via Viki)
  12. Secret Sunshine
  13. Green Fish
  14. Peppermint Candy
  15. Poetry (screenshot below)
    poetry
  23. The Chaser
  24. I Saw The Devil
  25. The Man from Nowhere
  26. Taeguki: The Brotherhood of War
  27. The King and the Clown
  28. Silmido
  29. Hwangjini (screenshot below)
    hwangjini

1. micky January 7, 2014 at 7:22 am - Reply

Whare can i watch time in eng sub?? :’(

2. Eamon October 19, 2013 at 5:36 pm - Reply

There are many Korean films that provide exciting entertainment. I have viewed over 170 Korean Movies. Some of my favorites are as follow:
    Secretly, Greatly-available on Youtube
    Mr.Go-Youtube
    Crying Fist-Crunchyroll
    Sunny-Hulu+
    Punch-Hulu+
    Any of the Marrying the Mafia
    The Host-has been airing on AXS TV Channel
    Tazza, the High Roller
    May 18th
    Mukberry/Pong

3. Prashant September 23, 2013 at 11:55 am - Reply

Awesome list but not sure why you haven’t included Castaway to the moon, 200 Pounds Beauty, My Little Bride, Windstruck, Madeo etc. Here is a list of my favorite South Korean movies

• santhosh kumar January 28, 2014 at 7:40 pm - Reply

that was a great list…watched most of it…please try to include the links to the films too…that will be a great help to not “too sassy” net users like me

4. Tam August 28, 2013 at 2:29 am - Reply

I love the film ” A Tale Of Two Sister” its so good, the acting is brilliant, story is fantastic and is just the right amount of horror (you can still sleep at night and say hat you have watched a horror film!)

5. Derek August 18, 2013 at 6:26 pm - Reply

네~ 어제 태극기 휘날라며를 봤어! 아주 좋았어~
    미국의 올드 보이 나오기 전에 한국의 올드 보이를 보고싶어!

Yea, I saw Tae Guk Gi yesterday. It was very good!
    I want to watch the Korean version of Old Boy before the American version comes out!

6. dyan Lee August 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm - Reply

Lots of Lee Byung Hun movies. What did you think of Castaway on the Moon? Isn’t that Korean? What about My Way? Is that Korean, too? I also loved a corny movie called the Host with Kang Sang Ho. (Think that’s his name.)

7. Betsy August 16, 2013 at 10:53 am - Reply

Wow, just watched Oasis, never cried so much whilst watching a film. Looking forward to seeing his other films.

8. Grégory August 15, 2013 at 4:40 am - Reply

Hello ! Thanks a lot for this list, i knew some of the movies and i want so much to discover the another ones. I hope that i could find them with subtitles of my language.
    A bientôt !

9. Kim August 13, 2013 at 5:49 pm - Reply

I like the movie Tae guk gi: the brotherhood of war. I had to do a paper on the movie for a class and enjoyed the history behind it.
    I liked it so much I bought the movie.

10. Simon SchmidS August 12, 2013 at 9:43 am - Reply

I turned this into an IMDB list:

IMDB has some great info and ratings on the movies, and some of these are hard to find on IMDB, so i wanted to spare others the work (while looking up these titles myself).
    Thanks for a great list of recommendations (as well as an awesome survey video)!

11. Lhex August 12, 2013 at 2:47 am - Reply

Hi, thanks a lot for your recommendation on Oasis! I’ve watched most of the movies on this list, but haven’t yet came across Oasis at the time I read this article. I really enjoyed the love between the 2 main characters especially when they pay no attention to how others judge them.

*SPOILERS*
    Like the scene where they were dancing on the expressway, and when Jong Du swayed his butt while sawing off the branches at the end.
    *END OF SPOILERS*

From the list of movie, I also enjoyed Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring. The movie was so quiet that it felt rather meditative and at certain times allows you to think about the characters’ emotions at those moments.

As for Welcome to Dongmakgol, I laughed as much at the mess caused by the grenade :D and The Good, the Bad and the Weird is a ridiculously fun movie to watch.

Other than that, I liked JSA, Bittersweet Life and all the Vengeance movie by Park Chan Wook too. JSA made me cry some when they were discussing about Kim Kwang Seok when his song 이등병의편지 played on the radio.

Quite a pity the place I stay in don’t bring in many korean films. Still waiting for New World 신세계 to screen in Singapore~

12. Susan Morán August 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm - Reply

You forgot Mother by South Korean film by Bong Joon-ho.

13. Jon August 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm - Reply

Hi there. You ever consider getting an app with push notifications and all your courses. You are great!

14. Taylor August 10, 2013 at 4:15 am - Reply

I just watched My Sassy Girl. It was rather cute. I really enjoyed it.

1 down many more to go :D

Thanks for your list!

15. Mr_Parks August 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Hey Professor OH! Anyong!

Ah reum da wuh yo!

Great KWOW. I have only seen one Korean movie, the Good, the Bad, and the Weird. It was entertaining, and I enjoyed to see how Korean humor related to my own. I definitely would like to see some of the others that you have listed.

Have you done a show on K-TV? I enjoy the historical dramas, and got hooked from the first one I saw, Chuno. I have also seen the Duo, Queen Suon Dok, Paint the Wind, and others. I discovered Chuno after finding K-pop when I visited Osan. Still a newbie in language study and finding other Korean songs and shows.

Keep up the good work!
    Mr_Parks.

16. Rachel August 9, 2013 at 6:57 am - Reply

I would also include 내 머리속의 지우개 “A Moment To Remember”. That movie was sad but beautiful.
    Anyway, I like your list. There are some I definitely have to check out :)

17. 59Soneaktf6002 August 9, 2013 at 4:55 am - Reply

You left out some really good movies!
    My favourites –
    A Moment to remember, The Classic, Do re mi fa sol la si do, Millionaire’s first love and Always (only you)
    Plus the movies I really enjoyed were :
    Now and forever
    Dating on earth
    200 pounds beauty
    My little bride
    The world of silence
    Secret love
    I really enjoyed these! Most of them are romance, because I love love stories ^^

18. NesPodargo August 8, 2013 at 5:23 pm - Reply

So far, from the list, I saw:
    18.
    19.
    21.
    I saw other not listed here. I also like Korean comedy, I saw this and liked: 200 Pounds Beauty, Baby and I, Conduct Zero, Mens Manual and I want to see Secretly Greatly this year :)

19. Tiara August 8, 2013 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Netflix has most of these movies! They have a huge variety as well as a lot of big time dramas. the movies that they have on the list are:
    I’m a Cyborg, But thats Okay
    Sympathy for Mr. Vengence
    Brotherhood
    Hwangjini
    The King and the Clown
    Silmido
    Welcome to Dongmakol
    I started watching Korean movies on Netflix and I was shocked to see that every movie you named I’ve seen! Love your videos :)