Hanbok Photoshoot at Unhyeongung Palace

Professor Oh December 21, 2013 17

On my way to Insadong I spontaneously decided to visit the Unhyeongung Palace (운현궁). Little did I expect to end up having a hanbok photoshoot. For only 3,3000 won in fact. That’s approximately $3 USD.

hanbok & tree

After paying the hanbok wearing fee, you walk into a room filled with Korean decorations. To the right is where the colorful hanbok costumes are. The ladies choose a jeogori (the blouse jacket) and chima (long skirt). Men wear a jeogori and baji (pants). Traditional hats are also available.

hanbok amongst trees

Once you wear your hanbok, it’s time for portraits around the palace. You’ll feel like a princess. Or a prince, if you’re a dude. Being a chilly winter day there weren’t many visitors. Thus I was lucky to score what must’ve been a 30-minute photo session.

hanbok graceful sitting

Sometimes I wish everyone wore their country’s traditional attire on a daily basis. However Western clothes do have their functionality. Perhaps the romance of wearing hanbok would diminish if worn everyday?

hanbok on horse stand

You know the concrete block Professor Oh is standing on (above)? King Gojong used to step on it to get on and off his horse.

hanbok through the door

It was on my bucket list to wear a hanbok and pose in front of a wooden door. One dream realized, a thousand more to go!

hanbok twirl

When you wear a dress, you must twirl. That’s when it feels most alive :)

For the Unhyeongung Palace tour, watch KWOW episode 115:

1. Jayde January 3, 2014 at 10:29 pm - Reply

Hanboks are so pretty!!

2. Gabe Santiago December 27, 2013 at 8:37 am - Reply

Is Unhyeongung Palace the only 14th-Century palace left in Korea; No. or So.? Are there other standing palaces of the old-world left? Will you go visit the tallest modern structure in Seoul? Given your great image wearing a hanbok on the grounds of Unhyeongung Palace, will you be on the cover of ‘High-Cut’ or ‘Vogue Korea’ magazine, as most beautiful woman in Korea?

3. Manfre Cosenzeg December 27, 2013 at 7:55 am - Reply

Wow, Asian tradiotional clothes, music and architechture is just so amazing, I wish one day I can have a photoshoot in that palace, just amazing, I’m going to save some money so in a couple of winters I can go to Korea:P

4. Jose December 25, 2013 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Professor OH you look so beautiful wearing a hanbok, thank you….

5. Amy December 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing. You look beautiful in that hanbook!! I want to visit Korea so bad now. I can’t wait till your next video!

• Amy December 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm - Reply

hanbok*

6. Kid Kimchi December 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm - Reply

Beautiful pictures. Visit the tourist information in Myeong-dong. You can wear hanboks for free. Plenty of brochures and magazines. It is on the 5th floor where Forever 21 is located.

7. Michael Quigley December 23, 2013 at 7:57 pm - Reply

Such wonderful pictures! I had dinner in the hanok next door to the palace (and once part of it) Last week. The Unhyeongung palace and Bukchon are two of the reasons I love Kangbuk! Welcome to Seoul!

8. Juhee December 23, 2013 at 2:44 pm - Reply

Wow! I’m so jealous! Love learning from you and following what you’re up too. A few of my new friends just left last week to go home to Korea after a year long exchange program. I dearly miss them. Looks like you got to see the same snow they did. Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,
    Juhee

9. heesun December 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm - Reply

This is amazing!! I’m definitely adding this to my bucket list!! Does this price include both, wearing the outfit and the photos of the photo shoot or do you have to buy the pictures separately?

10. Lady G. December 22, 2013 at 1:51 pm - Reply

Wow, dream realized is right! That’s a beautiful Hanbok and the setting is very authentic. If it weren’t for the modern buildings in the background, it truly seems like stepping into the past. Lovely photos.

11. angela December 22, 2013 at 12:40 pm - Reply

that is so cheap and looks like fun! thanks for sharing. i can’t wait to finally visit korea one day. i look forward to your posts, it will help me make a “must do” list while i’m there.
    thanks again and take care :)

12. Mary P. December 22, 2013 at 2:39 am - Reply

Beautiful!

13. Victoria who has no secrets - December 22, 2013 at 2:13 am - Reply

What a delightful view of Korean value – embracing culture – and at such a modest fee. Thank you

14. Gabe Santiago December 22, 2013 at 2:00 am - Reply

Dangshinun aluum dabb sumnida ~ You are beautiful! If heaven indeed has angels, they could not look more beautiful than you! I think I’m in love! ♥ ;;)

15. Paul December 21, 2013 at 9:08 pm - Reply

Beautiful girl – beautiful setting! I love your videos – so well-written and interesting and educational!!!! Keep it up Boo!!!!!

16. mei yen December 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm - Reply

Great to see you having a good time. Thanks for posting this too – at least it gives me an idea where to go when I visit Korea in March. There’s another photo studio (or rather photo cafe) that I’m interested in going. It’s called Hwang Jin-Yi Photo Cafe

Thought I’d share the link with you since you are there :)