14 Memorable Photos from Bukchon Hanok Village

Professor Oh February 24, 2014 10

Walking in Bukchon Hanok Village is a relaxing and magical experience for both tourists and locals alike. The neighborhood contains an estimated 900 Korean traditional homes (called hanok). Come on a sunny day to enjoy a view of the Namsan Tower at the photo hotspot. Or visit on a snowy winter afternoon for an added layer of romance.

bukchon hanok village sign

When skies are clear even on a cold winter day, you can see the famous Namsan Tower from Gahoe-dong Alley. The street is easily filled with a hundred tourists at any given time. On the snowy day I went, a maximum of ten people walked up the popular street.

busy bukchon and namsan tower

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how many people pass by this bike, it doesn’t get stolen. Faith in humanity restored. Partially.

lone bicycle with cone

The electricity pole caught red-handed shaking its hip. It’s not the first time to see many wires come together in the streets of Seoul.

curved electricity pole

The view of Namsan Tower from Gahoe-dong Alley at sunset.

bukchon view of namsan tower

The following photo looks like a car commercial. I cringe. But it proves that people inhabit these old traditional homes.

one car road

View standing from the edge of Bukchon-ro 5na-gil.

looking towards geoncheong palace

The building which houses the Glass Dish Museum and Silk Road Museum located on Bukchon-ro 5na-gil.

wooden plank house

Couple rings, couple t-shirts, couple undies… and even a viewpoint just for couples. This country is made for lovebirds.

balcony for couples only

On the stroll to the famous Gahoe-dong Alley.

romance

Hungry? Walk up from the Gahoe-dong Alley and turn to your left. You might get lucky and encounter the baked sweet potato man! He’ll have his truck of other winter favorite produce ready for your taste buds.

sweet potato man

Drool. If baked sweet potatoes were a person, I’d marry them. Unconditional love to the maximum. Well… as long as Mr. Sweet Potato remains sweet. Otherwise he’d be just a potato.

toasty sweet potatoes

Another shot from Bukchon-ro 5na-gil. Looking towards Gyeongbokgung Palace.

romantic national folk museum of korea

On the walk back to Insadong. A tree admiring its naked self on the mirror. Dang girl, look at those curves!

tree and its reflection

Directions to Bukchon Hanok Village (the Information Box where you pick up a helpful map): Exit 2 at the Anguk Station. Walk one block and look to your right.

bukchon hanok village direction

1. Tonya Smallwood March 3, 2014 at 10:53 am - Reply

I love your photos, I see these places in my favorite dramas, so I feel like I have been there.

2. Tina March 2, 2014 at 8:15 pm - Reply

I want to live in Korea, South Korea my future second home

3. Julia the Berkshire Beanie February 25, 2014 at 6:14 am - Reply

trying to learn Hangul 학굴 so when I see signs, like the one in your photo, I sound it out. Gahoe Buchon Hanok Village. Does 마올 mean village?

4. Lori February 25, 2014 at 4:01 am - Reply

I love all these posts from Korea. I am going in May and you are helping to make my list of things to see and do in Seoul. Keep sending pics! :)I just keep getting more and more excited about this trip!

5. Rico February 24, 2014 at 9:26 pm - Reply

If that bike was parked here in Holland unlocked it would be stolen within an hour…

Great photo’s !

6. Winter February 24, 2014 at 3:16 pm - Reply

What camera did you use for these pictures?
    Sorry if you get this a lot. And thanks in advance.

• Professor Oh February 24, 2014 at 7:58 pm - Reply

I use a Canon 5D Mark II :) There is a newer model out though. The Canon Mark III.

• Edward February 24, 2014 at 8:41 pm - Reply

Hi Professor Oh , mind if I ask were you carrying both DSLR and a camcorder along the trip ?
      It is very heavy for carrying both , thank you very much on the wonder videos and beautifully taken pictures.

7. Jose H February 24, 2014 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Wow what wonderful photos professor Oh thanks for sharing them….

8. Gabe Santiago February 24, 2014 at 12:24 pm - Reply

Hanok Village is one of the most aesthetically charming places I’ve seen; I feel like I’ve been there before. I watched a documentary of this local, on NHI Japanese television, about a year, or so, ago; It was my favorite show. This will be one of my first visits, when I travel to R.O.K. Thanks again, “Ms. National Geographics.” ;;)